Not too long ago, incorporating smart technology into a home was only possible if you had considerable sums to spend on costly wiring and first-generation components. But during the past few years, smart home technology has grown by leaps and bounds, and competition has become fierce. As a result, prices are much more affordable and both hard-wired and wireless systems are available to make installation as customized and convenient as you need it to be. If you’re considering a smart home security system, but you’re not sure if it’s right for you – or if you’ve never even thought about installing one in your home – here are some things you need to know that could help you decide if installing a system makes sense for your needs:
1. They offer remote access via mobile phone or tablet. This option alone is what draws most people in, since it lets homeowners keep an eye on their homes easily, no matter where they are, as long as they have access to the Internet. You can even lock and unlock your doors remotely.
2. They can reduce your insurance premiums. Most insurance companies offer rate deductions for security system, including smart systems; depending on the additional functions your system has, you might qualify for more than one deduction.
3. They offer lots of options. Speaking of additional functions, many smart systems let you keep and eye on your electricity usage, see who’s entered your home and when, adjust your heating and air conditioning and even turn lights and appliances on and off. That means you can easily create the appearance of being at home, even while you’re on vacation or on a business trip. And it also means you can save big bucks while managing your utility usage while away from home. Want to keep the heat down during the day and boost it right before your kids get home? Many smart technology security systems let you do that. Turn on the lights when you’re working late? They can do that too.
4. Smart systems provide you with an additional set of “eyes” to make it easier to monitor activity. Not sure what your kids are doing while you’re still at work? Want to keep an eye on your dog walker when he or she picks up your pet? Smart systems let you do that through visual monitoring as well as smart locks that can tell you who entered your home and when. Many systems also let you monitor electronic activity so you can tell when your kids are watching TV instead of doing homework or chores.
5. Smart locks mean no more lost keys. In addition to locking and unlocking your doors from wherever you happen to be, some smart locks even allow you to set specific security codes for specific individuals so you can allow access when you need to without having to hand out loads of extra keys (which can be an added security risk).
6. They do everything a traditional security system does – only better. Remote access is just part of the story; a smart home security system provides a whole-house solution that’s as flexible as you need it to be. Plus, you can even install a system that uses no wiring or limited wiring, so you can avoid the cost and time involved in traditional hard-wired systems.
Smart home technology is so affordable and can be so easy to install in any home, it’s truly revolutionizing the home security industry by making even advanced security options available to more homeowners. If you haven’t explored all the benefits of a smart home security system, you owe it to yourself to take some time to learn about these systems and how they could make your life easier and more secure.